Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Healthy Meets Fall

This week I decided to try some more new, fall inspired ideas!  I planned a dinner of pepita crusted trout, creamed cauliflower, and brussel sprouts!

First was the Pepita Crusted Trout.

Ingrediants:

Trout, pepitas (raw pumpkin seeds), panko crumbs, fresh garlic, salt and pepper, and olive oil.

First Step: I crushed the pepitas in a food processor.



















Then I mixed the crushed seeds with the panko crumbs, salt and pepper, and set it aside.

My next step was to crush the garlic

If you do not have one of these plates for crushing garlic, I highly recommend it, they are amazing!



Then it was time to prepare the fish!




While the fish was cooking, I prepared my side dishes, the creamed caulifloer and brussel sprouts.

The creamed cauliflower is basically the same as mashed potatoes, only healthier!  Once the cauliflower is cooked and tender, add fat free sour cream, a little bit of butter, garlic, salt, and pepper, and mix it all up with a hand blender (another amazing tool!)   I used mine for the first time for this, and it was so easy, much easier than pouring it all into a blender.





















I also chopped up come green onion to go on top.




Now for the brussel sprouts!  I know not too many people are fond of brussel sprouts, but I happen to love them!  My husband used to hate them, but one day I took a chance that he would like them the way  I prepare them, and he did!  Now he not only likes them, but he requests them!


First cut the brussel sprouts in half, pour olive oil on top, and then season with garlic salt and freshly ground pepper.





















The finished products:


Now, some of you may be looking at this picture and think, "uh-oh she burned them!"  Yes, they are burned, but it was no accident!  I love it when they are burnt to a crisp!  I really think this gives them that extra flavor that may make you think twice about brussel sprouts!





The only down-fall of this meal was that the cauliflower did not retain it's heat for long.  It seemed to get cold quickly, and is definitly better when warm, but other than that everything turned out amazing!

No comments:

Post a Comment