Monday, October 15, 2012

Wine and Food Tasting

Last week I decided to plan a wine and food pairing get together.  I purchased my wines from the Bevmo 5 cent sale. (very convenient)  Once I selected my wine's I researched the best foods to pair with each varietal in order to get the most out of their distinct and unique flavors.  For my tasting I choose 2 whites, 4 reds, and one sparkling wine.


I decided to create and frame a menu for the party listing every wine with a brief description, along with the food that each wine would be paired with. I also researched the best glasses to serve each type of wine in order to enhance the flavors and aromas.  A tapered glass for white, balloon shape for red, and of course a flute for the sparkling wine.





I also came up with some creative, simple center pieces.



I prepared as much of the food as possible ahead of time, so that I would not have to spend the majority of the party in the kitchen, this worked out very well!  


First Course: Apple Smoked Gouda and Gruyere with Pinot Grigio



Second Course: Grilled Shrimp with Homemade Pesto and Sauteed Spinach with Chardonnay 


Third Course: Goat Cheese and Fig Relish on crackers and Baguette with Pinot Noir


Fourth Course: Spicy Chorizo and Olive Tapenade with Tempranillo 


Fifth Course: Grilled Beef with Valley of the Moon Orbiter  


Sixth Course: Fresh Pasta and Homemade Marinara Sauce with Ranch 32 Coopers Red



Final Course: Chocolate FILLED strawberries with Cremant 


I served each course as "little bites" as to not overwhelm my guests with food, they all agreed that by the end it was the perfect amount of food.  After the tasting was over everyone was welcome to go back to which ever was their favorite.  This was a huge success and  I can't wait to do it again!




No comments:

Post a Comment